Monday 28 May 2012

Productive Weekend

What's this? Two posts in only a few days? This is SPARTA!... wait, no, This is Madness :)

So, only a brief update today really, but Sunday was quite productive so I figured that I'd post it while I'm on a roll.

So, Sunday was also a clothes shopping day, but for non-costume related things. All I really did was have a wander through KMart to see what I could find, but I came up with a pretty good haul (and just about everything was on sale!!)
Items I ended up with:

  • A couple of pairs of pants that aren't either jeans or 'good' pants
  • A couple of button up shirts (seriously, why the lack of button up short sleeved shirts? There was one style, in a bunch of colours, surely I can't be the only person who wears these things in Winter?)
  • A pair of Pyjamas (first time I've owned those in what, twenty years?)
  • One black business shirt that may find use at Continuum, depending on what else I find
  • A new jacket that is.. halfway between my current blue blazer and a rain jacket. 
  • A new woolen, button up jacket that should do me proud the next time I end up somewhere so cold I think I'm going to get frostbitten (*cough*MtWellington*cough*)
Not a bad haul methinks, and like I said, basically all on sale. Also! One piece of awesome news, now that my gut has receded enough to not need extra space, I'm down to a men's small (well except for the woolen jacket, that's a medium). This is fantastic! My gut no longer dictates my shirt size! Woohoo!
I'm also down to an 87 in pants, and this should hopefully shrink further through the next year.

Only downside of the weekend shopping trip was my failure to find any Victorian style shirts (ie the ones with the ruffled cuffs etc) which I need for a plan for Continuum, but oh well, can search elsewhere there.
Also plan to hit Target this week sometime, since I hope they'll have more casual shirts.

I also managed to throw together a bracer for use at SCA tonight (only a rough one, need to get some leather to finish it off, and get some more craft glue... I.. erm.. lets just say that I found my craft glue upside down in my craft pile.. with the lid having worked its way off. In good news, I've managed to de-glue everything now.
Oh yes, speaking of SCA stuff. At last Monthly Bash I was.. well, 'given' I guess a spare Demi gauntlet since my current one wasn't really safe enough (and by 'given', I mean it was an old rusty one and by the time I was de-armored the guy who had loaned it to me had already left, apparently not wanting/remembering it). Now this Demi was *covered* in rust, no metal visible, one big lump of rust.
Some elbow grease and a good soaking in CLR Clear and it's now back to metal and quite shiny again! The bucket of CLR looked like a bucket of mud by the end.

In cooking adventures, I decided to have another go at Pie last night, combining the last two recipes I've mentioned on here into a Shepherd's pie but with mashed cauliflower rather than potato. 
It.. didn't come out too bad. I got the blind baking thing perfect this time (yay for picking up baking paper), but I think there was still too much liquid in the meat mixture when I put it in, since it didn't hold together. The mash is different, but I think it still works.
Just means that rather than something that looks like a slice of pie, I end up with a mound of mince & mashed cauliflower on my plate, with some pastry bits hidden under it. 

Oh, yes, speaking of food. When coming back from my shopping trip I had my first chocolate bar in around a fortnight (mmm, peppermint Aero), and today at lunch I had my first cake (vanilla slice) in about the same amount of time.
Sweet things really are that much sweeter when you don't have them all the time.

Not much been happening today, being a work day and all. I headed out on my lunchbreak and picked up some string for re-lacing my Demi (and forgot craft glue ><) and stopped by a new Goth shop that Laura spotted (that's basically next to the place I got the string from). Alas they didn't have Victorian style male shirts in there either, the very helpful sales girl showed me the least-feminine girl's Victorian shirt that they had there, but alas it was too small. 
On the other hand, if anyone's looking for Gothic stuff in the city (especially either shoes or women's clothes) , it's worth taking a look, lots of stuff and really nice staff. Ground floor at Australia on Collins, first store on the left from the Lt Collins st entrance. Discover something or something (me bad at names? That's unpossible!).

And I think that's about it. SCA fighting training tonight which is always fun (even when you end up with a suspected fractured arm). 
Talk to you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment